Roma-Barcelona: the task is prohibitive, but not prohibited
Third challenge: one precedent is very favourable, the other one is decidedly unfavourable. Anyway, Barcelona is a giant, both culturally and sportively
It was about 12.11 when Shevchenko pulled out the spheres containing the names of Barcelona and Roma respectively from Nyon's urn. To await a pleasure was not itself a pleasure, this time. The Romanist eyes looking up to the sky. A prelude of the more or less unison comments about the draw. The worst draw possible. Maybe it doesn't matter. Because when it comes to the quarterfinals of the Champions League, you must necessarily have to deal with the elite of European football. So, here is Barcelona. We have to face them for the third time in the Champions League: April 4th in Catalonia, six days later at Olimpico.
Therefore, this is not a new challenge, with a very favourable precedent (in 2002, 1-1 in Spain with an advantage that blurred just few minutes from the end, and an amazing 3-0 in Rome); and a decidedly unfavourable one (in 2015, 1-1 in Rome and 1-6 at Nou Camp).
Here is Barça, and all its suggestions. Messi, Suarez, Iniesta, the five Champions Leagues, the Nou Camp, those tribunes that exude Catalan identity and independence, the infinite number of champions, a museum better than many of those that are purely artistic ("Més que un club", not a casuality), where a logo signed by Joan Miró can be proudly displayed. Barça is a giant, culturally and sportively.
Without bothering "David against Goliath" and all the other clichés so popular in similar situations ("To reach the end you have to face them all", which in the cups is anything but true, as shown by the draw of the Europe League), the task of Roma is prohibitive. But not prohibited.
It is a duty to give it a try, even starting from an obvious disadvantage. On paper, at least. The newspaper As, yesterday, was even hoping for a match against the Giallorossi, considered as the most appreciated opponents. A concept reiterated by Marca, the Madrid-based newspaper, which has gone even further: "A good draw for Barça with Roma, one of the least strong rivals of the Quarters, the only one that has never won continental trophies among the teams left in contention", the sense of the comment. And even with a historical fake: Rome was the first Italian team (in 1961, with Fiorentina) to win a European cup.
In any case, the hope of the two newspapers has not been fulfilled, considering their "closeness" to Real Madrid, which has drawn Juventus from the urn, reinvigorating the clash between Italians and Spaniards. A framework completed by the two matches between Bayern and Sevilla, and the English derby: Man City is one of the favourites for the final triumph, but Liverpool showed in the direct clash in Premier League that no one is unbeatable, including the battleship of Guardiola. A concept that must also guide Roma in this (im)possible challenge.
© RIPRODUZIONE RISERVATA
- Amar Osim, Dzeko's coach at Zeljeznicar: "Edin will keep this level" After the first part of our reportage, here is the interview with Amar Osim, Edin Dzeko's former coach at Zeljeznicar, his first team. Zeljenicar won the championship 1971-72 in Ju
- VIDEO - All roads lead to Dzeko: discovering Edin's life in Sarajevo A climb. To reach the house where Dzeko grew up, in the district of Brijesce in Sarajevo, you have to go up a hill. Just as happened to Edin throughout his childhood, stolen from h
- AS Roma published new Nike's home jersey for the 2018/19 season AS Roma published the images of the new Nike's home jersey for the 2018/19. Here are the first shots of the new kit: Here is the video posted by AS Roma on Twitter: Presenting o
- Massara to join again Roma as principal collaborator of Monchi Fredric "Ricki" Massara will be the new principal collaborator of Monchi, with influence over the sporting secretary of AS Roma. It is a comeback, because he was at Trigoria alread
- Roma-Liverpool, Monchi: "Rome supports Roma. Let's colour the City!" Sunday morning. Trigoria shines under the sun. It is hot, but there is a sun that invites you to dive in the water, like Pallotta. Outside Trigoria few supporters are waiting and w
- Francesco Totti: the last kick, the last shot against the 93 I go with my son to see Roma-Genoa. It is the last match. It is mandatory to bring him to the stadium. Something that involves his higher education. For us Romanists, the match aga
- LA SCHEDA - Alla scoperta di Robin Olsen: il suo agente è a Roma per chiudere Robin Olsen, attuale portiere del Copenhagen e titolare della nazionale svedese, è uno dei giocatori che più ha colpito durante il Mondiale appena concluso.
- VIDEO - La Roma presenta i suoi nove acquisti: ecco il "Wolf Pack" In un tweet il video in cui Bianda, Zaniolo, Kluivert, Mirante, Marcano, Santon, Pastore, Cristante e Coric salutano i tifosi romanisti, gridando "Forza Roma!". Così la Roma
- Juventus, subito scintille tra Agnelli e Jorge Mendes Galeotta fu la foto e chi la scattò, direbbe un Dante Alighieri degli anni 2000. La foto in questione è quella che ritrae Andrea Agnelli, Cristiano Ronaldo&
- Nainggolan: "A Roma poteva finire diversamente. All'Inter anche senza Champions" Radja Nainggolan si presenta. Il centrocampista belga sta parlando in questi minuti in conferenza stampa: "Sono contento di essere qua e non vedo l'ora di cominciare questa nuova a
- Abbonamenti Champions in vendita da lunedì 9 luglio: ecco prezzi e modalità La Roma ha comunicato sul proprio sito le modalità di vendita dei mini-abbonamenti per la fase a gironi della Champions League 2018-19: AS Roma rende noto che a partir
Ti potrebbe interessare
Heart and soul, but primarily a fantastic player that is the icon of this team.
He plays as forward in the Roma U-16 trained by Gianluca Falsini, from the locker room he stated "Ferreyra wanted to apologize for that act"
Roma at quarterfinals. There will be a time to celebrate this match in details: but without certain abilities it would be impossible to beat Napoli and Shakhtar within ten days