Roma-Barcelona: the task is prohibitive, but not prohibited
Third challenge: one precedent is very favourable, the other one is decidedly unfavourable. Anyway, Barcelona is a giant, both culturally and sportively
It was about 12.11 when Shevchenko pulled out the spheres containing the names of Barcelona and Roma respectively from Nyon's urn. To await a pleasure was not itself a pleasure, this time. The Romanist eyes looking up to the sky. A prelude of the more or less unison comments about the draw. The worst draw possible. Maybe it doesn't matter. Because when it comes to the quarterfinals of the Champions League, you must necessarily have to deal with the elite of European football. So, here is Barcelona. We have to face them for the third time in the Champions League: April 4th in Catalonia, six days later at Olimpico.
Therefore, this is not a new challenge, with a very favourable precedent (in 2002, 1-1 in Spain with an advantage that blurred just few minutes from the end, and an amazing 3-0 in Rome); and a decidedly unfavourable one (in 2015, 1-1 in Rome and 1-6 at Nou Camp).
Here is Barça, and all its suggestions. Messi, Suarez, Iniesta, the five Champions Leagues, the Nou Camp, those tribunes that exude Catalan identity and independence, the infinite number of champions, a museum better than many of those that are purely artistic ("Més que un club", not a casuality), where a logo signed by Joan Miró can be proudly displayed. Barça is a giant, culturally and sportively.
Without bothering "David against Goliath" and all the other clichés so popular in similar situations ("To reach the end you have to face them all", which in the cups is anything but true, as shown by the draw of the Europe League), the task of Roma is prohibitive. But not prohibited.
It is a duty to give it a try, even starting from an obvious disadvantage. On paper, at least. The newspaper As, yesterday, was even hoping for a match against the Giallorossi, considered as the most appreciated opponents. A concept reiterated by Marca, the Madrid-based newspaper, which has gone even further: "A good draw for Barça with Roma, one of the least strong rivals of the Quarters, the only one that has never won continental trophies among the teams left in contention", the sense of the comment. And even with a historical fake: Rome was the first Italian team (in 1961, with Fiorentina) to win a European cup.
In any case, the hope of the two newspapers has not been fulfilled, considering their "closeness" to Real Madrid, which has drawn Juventus from the urn, reinvigorating the clash between Italians and Spaniards. A framework completed by the two matches between Bayern and Sevilla, and the English derby: Man City is one of the favourites for the final triumph, but Liverpool showed in the direct clash in Premier League that no one is unbeatable, including the battleship of Guardiola. A concept that must also guide Roma in this (im)possible challenge.
© RIPRODUZIONE RISERVATA
- VIDEO - Psg e Basaksehir lasciano il campo per un insulto razzista del quarto uomo È stata sospesa dopo poco più di venti minuti Psg-Basaksehir, gara valida per l'ultima giornata del girone H di Champions League, a causa di un insulto
- VIDEO - Amra Dzeko: "It's a duty for me to help others. Edin and I love Rome" We're in Casal Palocco in Rome to meet Arma Dzeko, Edin's wife. She spoke about her special relationship with the city of Rome, about her social commitment in Bosnia-Herzegovina an
- Safe-Standing in Spurs new stadium, Jon Darch: "I would expect government policy to catch up with reality" Tottenham have incorporated 7.500 safe-standing rails into the South Stand of their new 62.000-seater stadium. We speak about this, and the situation of safe-standing in UK, with J
- Learn Roma Doing nothing, after what happened yesterday, by rhetorically appealing to coldness and lucidity, is maybe more serious than what has happened in the field. Because after a 7-1 gam
- VIDEO - Our interview with Robin Olsen: “Everyone is a Roma supporter in the city!” Here is the video with a part of the interview with Robin Olsen, published on "Il Romanista" today, 11/23/2018.
- Amar Osim, Dzeko's coach at Zeljeznicar: "Edin will keep this level" After the first part of our reportage, here is the interview with Amar Osim, Edin Dzeko's former coach at Zeljeznicar, his first team. Zeljenicar won the championship 1971-72 in Ju
- VIDEO - Mourinho osserva la squadra cantare l'inno: "Senza parole" Questa sera a Trigoria è andata in scena la cena di squadra. E durante la cena Josè Mourinho ha ripreso i suoi calciatori mentre cantavano l'inno "Roma Roma Roma
- VIDEO - L'allenamento di Pastore a casa: "Il calcio è inspiegabile" "Il calcio è una passione che non si può spiegare, e solo chi ci gioca può capire". Questa la didascalia scelta da Javier Pastore per accompagnare un video in
- Ecco le sedi delle prossime 4 finali di Champions e Europa League Ci sono le sedi delle prossime quattro finali di Champions e Europa League. Tramite i propri canali social l'Uefa ha ufficializzato le città che ospiteranno le gare conclusi
- La curiosa narrazione da Xhaka a Patricio Complicato stabilire se siano più pittoreschi (ridicoli?) coloro che, per il solo fatto di essere stati accostati alla Roma, hanno etichettato in un amen Granit Xhaka come i
- FOTO - I convocati per l'inizio della preparazione: non c'è Pedro La Roma ha pubblicato l'elenco degli uomini scelti da Mourinho per iniziare la preparazione a Trigoria. La lista riporta i nomi dei calciatori che il tecnico e la società ha
Ti potrebbe interessare
Heart and soul, but primarily a fantastic player that is the icon of this team.
He plays as forward in the Roma U-16 trained by Gianluca Falsini, from the locker room he stated "Ferreyra wanted to apologize for that act"
Roma at quarterfinals. There will be a time to celebrate this match in details: but without certain abilities it would be impossible to beat Napoli and Shakhtar within ten days